Friday, July 07, 2006

Bergen, July 2


I stayed at a friend of a friend's girlfriend's apartment in Bergen. The place is really centrally located across from the theater. It is upstairs from a falafel place and across form and Irish pub that stays very noisy until 3am. It was great to be in an apartment and have a kitchen! Thank you Silje!
After all that I had already seen and learned, my brain was full. I spent half of Sunday wandering around Bergen like a zombie. There was a museum on my agenda, but I couldn't bear to be inside. I took the Fløibanen, the funicular railroad, up to the top of the hill and took in the birds, eye view of the harbor and the town. Bergen is a university town and a harbor town. It is a hairpin of a harbor, stretching deep and narrow right to the town center. An outdoor market with loads of fish is open everday right at the point of the harbor.
Not much else is open on Sundays in Norway. I strolled the main pedestrian street window shopping and noticing the street performers. The horn ensemble that does instrumental renditions of "Blue Moon", "When I'm 64", and "Don't Cry for Me, Argentina" is pretty darn good. The most impressive is the guy on the wood xylophone that does the full orchestral version of the theme to "Star Wars". Here are some photos of Bergen at 10:30pm (midnight sun).

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?