Saturday, June 24, 2006

Still in Oslo





Today started about three days ago. I'm still waiting for the sun to go down! Last night was the official "Midnight Sun" celebration around town, so we wandered the streets until after midnight just so I could see the sun not go down for myself. They make really good ice cream here, by the way. I would recommend the double scoop of strawberry and vanilla. J-P recommends pistacio but would not order the mango again.
We started at the Kulturhistorisk Museum to see Viking and Sami objects. The horn drinking cups keep making me laugh every time I look at them. They are like circus seals propped up on their little legs. I am switching to these when I get home. The carved doorways are amazing too, and the museum had several of these in good condition.
We then proceeded to the Kunstindustrimusett where we saw many amazing objects from more recent history up to present. No photography was permitted, but I managed to sketch a few things. I was already whelmed when I got there, so I became over-whelmed by the extensive collection. Some of the modern work was really clever and inspiring, like the bent laminated stool with a compound curve. There was a great room full of art nouveau cabinets too complex to draw, and several rooms with mid-century modern beginning with Hans Wegner. There was so much good stuff, we had to leave and find some coffee and chocolate to recover.
We had to circumnavigate the Gay Pride parade that had blocked the main street through Oslo, but did eventually manage to get to Vigelandsparken, the huge park for which Gustav Vigeland made hundreds of figurative sculptures in granite and bronze. It is evident through the pictures that most people enjoy the work. I had to throw a tantrum though. I think J-P is going to throw a tantrum if I do not quit the computer soon.

Comments:
Hi Ashley,
your father told me about your trip and the blog during my last visit to his chair. I've been his patient for some 25 years.
As a native Norwegian, I think it is really great to see younger generations going back there to learn how they do it: Slow and meticulous!
Enjoy the rest of your trip - especially Trondheim when you get there. I graduated from the Technical University there in 1957, and loved the time there.

Best wishes, Thore Thoresen
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?