Friday, June 23, 2006

Oslo


After arriving in rainy Oslo on Thursday (Torsdag) morning, I went to the Norsk Folkemuseum to see examples of Sami/Lapp objects, Norwegian wood objects, and building constructions, including stave churches. I spent most of the time learning to work my camera. Not really.
The amazing part of my visit was when the curator, Leif Pareli, took me to see the storage areas for the Sami (Lapplander) sleds called pulks. These are the sleds pulled by reindeer, the making of which is nearly a lost art due to the introduction of the snowmobile in the 1960's. I will be visiting some of the only known pulkmakers in North-North-Norway during this trip. They live in Santa's neighborhood. The bummer is that in uploading these photos, I somehow deleted the pictures off my camera. Enjoy them here!

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?